Skip to main content

A theory of 3 simple steps

Introduction
As it happens, my parents are very popular people; so everyone they know wants to somehow favor them by proposing a potential suitor for the eldest unmarried spinster daughter that is me, humbly. So, last weekend , my father ,after not having the opportunity to talk for a while, instead of bonding and sharing a father-daughter moment, decides to ruin the mood and bring up the whole "Yasmine, you're older now, we have to get you married" conversation. And then, he talks about 3 potential suitors just to make this conversation even more dramatic. For a change, I decided to be polite, obedient and just listen to what he has to say without arguing and just let him get it over with.

Assumptions
Having actually heard the options available on the market these days (sorry for putting it this way, but it just seems like it), I realized, that, actually there are a few interesting people one can possibly meet. Aside from my views regarding arranged marriages and blind dates, and aside from the fact whether or not I have someone I compare to, some people might actually be interesting to meet, have I been emotionally available and met them by chance socially.

Step 1-
Now, that being said, I kept reflecting on that thought on my way to work one morning. Somehow Cairo traffic added to deep thinking on life the universe and everything. So that brilliant morning, on my way to work, I started considering why, in fact, was I so reluctant to meet anyone new?Why don't I go places where I can meet someone interesting ? And why do I stick to my closed circle of friends where I know that I won't potentially find my self head-over-heels for? And then I kept thinking and thinking, until it hit me, that in fact , I am relationship-phobic (if there is such a word) probably due to the amount of rubbish I've been through.

Step 2-
So, still on my way to work with this great revelation, I realize, that perhaps this relationship-phobia syndrome is why I am putting myself through the same emotional trauma of being emotionally attached to those who are not emotionally unaccessible/unavailable. In other words, I find it safe to fall in love with people who I'm sure will not fall in love with me for whichever random reason or the other; as this way, I realized, I get all the "I'm in love" part without the relationship part, which makes me not only a relationship-phobic but also a major drama queen.

Step 3-
Realizing the whole attachment-to-the-unavailable part, I didn't even bother to put much thought in it before the epiphany just appeared to me. I'm over him!
How cool is that!

Aftermath
Ok, so although he has no idea I'm over him or that I was in love with him in the first place.
And although he was never in love with me nor knew I existed.
But somehow as the irony of life would have it, now that I started putting the "over him" plans to action, he started paying more attention to me!

Now that could be my mind playing tricks on me,
or simply life teaching me that the whole "over him" business is not as easy as it seems.
or there might be a slim 1% chance that it's true..

But I made my decision... I'm over him khalas!
And yes, I am aware that I said "over him" so many times, but maybe if I say it enough times, it might actually come true!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

الفرق بين الطبخ على نار هادئة والطبخ السريع

 لاحظت إن بقى لى فترة كل تدويناتي إما تتحدث عن الحب (أو عدمه) والمشاعر (أو عدمها) أو تدوينات حزينة نكدية بتبني جو من  الكآبة العامة اللي محدش لا طايقها ولا ناقصها اصلا. فقررت بيني وبين نفسي أني مش هكتب حتى يكون عندي شئ خفيف وظريف أكتب عنه. المشكلة للأسف اللي وجهتني هي أن كل اللي بيدور في بالي دلوقتي إما الشغل ومشاكله اللي مبتخلصش أو حوار المشاعر اللي قلت إني مش هتكلم فيه، فقررت أسكت. بس النهارده وأنا في العربية مراوحة البيت من الشغل جائت لي فكرة قلت رغم إنها بتكسر شوية القرار اللي فوق إلا إنها تمشي مع فكرة خفيفة فممكن نعملها إستثناء فكرت في قد إيه "الإعجاب أو الإنبهار" بشخص ده عامل زي طرق الطبيخ، فيها السريع واللي على نار هادئة والللي الواحد يقعد يجهز فيه ويستنى عليه في الفرن إنه يستوي، مبيستويش. طبعا أنا محبب عليا أقول "الحب عامل زي الطبيخ"، بس من ناحية، أنا لسة من كام يوم بقول إن الإعجاب محتاج كثير علشان يبقى حب أصلا، ومن ناحية تانية حسيت إن الجملة مستهلكة جدا من قبل النكت القالشة.    أنا كنت طول عمري بميل للطبيخ السريع، زي طريقة "ستير فراي"، في

انا اسفة , مش عايزة اتنيل -0

بمناسبة شهر رمضان الكريم اللي الناس فيه بتبقى زهقانة و عايزة حكايات و بمناسبة اني كل ما اقعد قدام التلفزيون الاقي مسلسل مختلف فيه سوسن بدر بتقول لإبنها او بنتها "عقبال ما افرح بيكي و بمناسبة اذاعة مسلسل عايزة اتجوز اللي كل الناس بتبصلي اني المفروض اخده مثل اعلى و اروح ادور على عريس و بما ان عادة المصريين ان لازم ينكدوا على الواحد في اي مناسبة سعيدة و يفكروا باللي نقصوا في حياتوا و بمناسبة كلمة "عقبال" اللي عمري ما حبيتها ولا طيقتها و بمناسبة العريس الاخير , توتو عضلات اللي خلاني جبت اخري و قلت " رضينا بالهم و الهم مارضيش بينا و بمناسبة حالة الاكتئاب الاخيرة الي كنت فيها مش عارفة اشوف ربع الكوباية المليان احب اشارك معاكوا حكيتي مع الحب و الجواز و الذى منه , هاسميها "انا اسفة , مش عايزة اتنيل" . الحكاية دي فيها فضايح , و اعترافات , جزء لا بأس به من تاريخي الاسود . القصص كتير , منها الي يضحك و منها الي يبكي بس في الاخر هيا حصليت خلاص , و تسببت في تكوين شخصيتي و الي حصل حصل , و جائز لو شاركت الناس, تقدروا انا ليه بقيت كده في ناس هاتزعل مني , عادي متوقعة, ما اك

When Love Died

Yes, love died, about a year ago. No body knows exactly when, but it was sometimes early September or late August. Can you imagine something as big as love dying and no one noticing? Well, people did notice, in a way or another, but rather they couldn't possibly imagine that love , could in fact, die! For some, it changed into other feelings; feelings that could have usually be confused with love - lust, possessiveness , compassion, familiarity, kindness, fear of loneliness or even instinctive protectiveness. But there are a few people who are still lost at see with the void that death of love left behind. They struggle to find meaning. They... Ah well,.. Here are some stories from these people: Scene 4 Greenwich Wednesday, September 4th, 2014 It wasn't very rainy that day, unlike the rest of the week, so Tom thought that today has to be the day. He stopped at Marks and Spenser's on the way to class to pick up some flowers and concealed them cleverly. The day w