Skip to main content

She said/He said

(1)
She said: Remember how you told me that I should pursue a job that I actually enjoy not just one that I'm good at. I actually took your advise ; I quit my boring monotonous job a couple of weeks ago and decided to take time off and discover what I enjoy doing best. And guess what, I discovered I looovvveee to cook. I'm not sure how I will turn it into a job yet; I'll figure it out , eventually. But, honestly, I have you to thank. I never realized how I could be so happy just by doing simple things.

(2)
He said: I was flipping channels the other day and I saw her show. As a professional chef, you see, I don't usually pause on cooking shows, these are for amateurs. I'm not sure why I paused; I think it was the way she looked. I don't know, she isn't that beautiful in terms of physical beauty, but there's something about her. She's so passionate about her cooking. She makes Spanish omelet sound like the grandest gourmet meal. I know that this would sound weird, but I make sure to watch her everyday now. She gives the simple people a sense of enjoyment in the food they eat everyday. This other day, she was talking about a chocolate dip ; not fondue , not even fudge..just our plain boring chocolate dip, which is something I wouldn't even ask my apprentice to do, and I felt, well, hot from her description. I'm just fascinated by her.

(3)
She said: You won't believe who asked me out ; the master chef of the Four Seasons. Can you imagine? Me, asked out by the great master himself. The guy is sooo sweet , handsome, French and knows how to COOK, what more would a woman want. But I'm not sure I'm going. Why not? Isn't it obvious why not? He's him and I'm me. I wouldn't know what to wear nor what to expect. And what if we go to a restaurant , and I think the food is great and he thinks its terrible. He'll think I'm just a fat pig eating anything that is given to me? Or what if I don't like something and it turns out he likes it? Yes you're right. I should stop the what ifs. Oh, my producer introduced me to him at some random event. Well, I guess so, how bad can it be? I'll just meet him.

(4)
He said: I thought of asking her to one of my restaurants but I'm sure she tried them all before. She's a cook, and a cook should be treated in a special way. I haven't dated a cook since you know; I told you the story before. Anyway, I asked her to my penthouse; I knew it was a risk given the cultural implications , but its where I have MY kitchen and I wanted to cook something special for her. Setting up the place was the hardest; I decided no wine, I wasn't sure if she drinks or not, but I made several other fruit juices. I thought, romantic dim light, then I decide, might be mis-interpreted. You Egyptians are so hard to cater for, but it went anyway. I left the lights on, put a simple tablecloth on the kitchen table,arranged the cutlery and only mood music. But it went well, I think I'll call her again.

(5)
She said: At first I thought, his penthouse, fishy, but I remembered that he has been in Egypt for over a year now and probably knows he's not getting any with Egyptian girls. I thought of taking a bottle of wine, like in movies, but again, I didn't want to be over-westernized. I thought dessert, but he's a cook, I thought he'd be offended. Ugh..men are so hard to cater for. But it went well, I took some of my favorite home-made tapas as appetizers and put them in really cute containers. They looked like something you'd buy off Harrods gourmet section. He said he liked them; not sure if he really meant it or if he was just saying it to make me feel good. I was obviously very nervous at the beginning of our date. I have to tell you, his kitchen, is my dream come to life; everything organized, all the ingredients labeled, fresh home grown herbs, ...you name it, he has it. And the size of that kitchen... It's as big as my house. I love it. His cooking, how can I even start to describe it; he's like the king and all the cookware, cutlery, ingredients, his loyal subjects. It's like the butter melts on his knife before even being smothered on the chicken, strawberries want to be touched by his fingers before being dipped in the fondue, even the sweet peas were bending to make it easier for his knife to cut through them. Then the arrangement, plates raced to be his first choice for arranging food; nothing was placed haphazardly, everything made sense, the lettuce leafs can not touch shredded carrots without a layer of cheese to blend in the taste. And the taste, oh my God,is far better than anything I ever tasted in my entire life. It's like I haven't even tasted food before; how the chocolate fondue melts in your mouth at exactly the right time. Not too early so you've savored its taste but not too late that you grow accustomed to it; it melts at the exact moment that is needed to leave you wanting more.

(6)
He said: She came over again, this time she cooked. Nothing fancy, your regular steak and potatoes, side salad and a banana cake for dessert. Food was good, not good enough to hire her in my kitchen, but good enough for a family dinner on a Saturday night. But it's not her food that's special, it's how she describes her cooking. She is so good with words, and things sound so delicious when she says them. She was actually verbalizing how she butters her toast and I wondered if I have ever eaten something that tasty before, but in the end, it's just bread and butter. But I really like her, I can just sit there and listen to her talk about food.

(7)
She said: We're an item now, I think. Yes ,of course , we have other things in common other than cooking; like classical music , travel..umm.. Anyway, I look at it this way, anything in the end leads to food. For instance, we started talking about music, and the kind of mood it puts us in, and we realized, that Mozart is best heard with fillet au poivre with potatoes au gratin and saute mushrooms; Don Giovanni opera in particular needs Sauternes wine afterwards . On the other hand, Vivaldi, is best ,as expected, with Spinach Lasagna with Pinot Noir. We both enjoy culinary travel; that is to travel around countries trying their food, wines, you know. I'm not sure where its going really, but I think I'm in love with him.

(8)
He said: I proposed! I know .. I know.. I couldn't believe myself either. But I really love her. Physically? Well, she's a bit overweight, but she is sexy in her own way. I wouldn't say graceful, but she does have a unique way of carrying herself around. And she's really funny, a bit clumsy though. Come to our wedding! Oh of course, you can't , work ethics. Well, I'll be away for a while, but I'll get in touch with you as soon as I get back.


---To be continued

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

الفرق بين الطبخ على نار هادئة والطبخ السريع

 لاحظت إن بقى لى فترة كل تدويناتي إما تتحدث عن الحب (أو عدمه) والمشاعر (أو عدمها) أو تدوينات حزينة نكدية بتبني جو من  الكآبة العامة اللي محدش لا طايقها ولا ناقصها اصلا. فقررت بيني وبين نفسي أني مش هكتب حتى يكون عندي شئ خفيف وظريف أكتب عنه. المشكلة للأسف اللي وجهتني هي أن كل اللي بيدور في بالي دلوقتي إما الشغل ومشاكله اللي مبتخلصش أو حوار المشاعر اللي قلت إني مش هتكلم فيه، فقررت أسكت. بس النهارده وأنا في العربية مراوحة البيت من الشغل جائت لي فكرة قلت رغم إنها بتكسر شوية القرار اللي فوق إلا إنها تمشي مع فكرة خفيفة فممكن نعملها إستثناء فكرت في قد إيه "الإعجاب أو الإنبهار" بشخص ده عامل زي طرق الطبيخ، فيها السريع واللي على نار هادئة والللي الواحد يقعد يجهز فيه ويستنى عليه في الفرن إنه يستوي، مبيستويش. طبعا أنا محبب عليا أقول "الحب عامل زي الطبيخ"، بس من ناحية، أنا لسة من كام يوم بقول إن الإعجاب محتاج كثير علشان يبقى حب أصلا، ومن ناحية تانية حسيت إن الجملة مستهلكة جدا من قبل النكت القالشة.    أنا كنت طول عمري بميل للطبيخ السريع، زي طريقة "ستير فراي"، في

انا اسفة , مش عايزة اتنيل -0

بمناسبة شهر رمضان الكريم اللي الناس فيه بتبقى زهقانة و عايزة حكايات و بمناسبة اني كل ما اقعد قدام التلفزيون الاقي مسلسل مختلف فيه سوسن بدر بتقول لإبنها او بنتها "عقبال ما افرح بيكي و بمناسبة اذاعة مسلسل عايزة اتجوز اللي كل الناس بتبصلي اني المفروض اخده مثل اعلى و اروح ادور على عريس و بما ان عادة المصريين ان لازم ينكدوا على الواحد في اي مناسبة سعيدة و يفكروا باللي نقصوا في حياتوا و بمناسبة كلمة "عقبال" اللي عمري ما حبيتها ولا طيقتها و بمناسبة العريس الاخير , توتو عضلات اللي خلاني جبت اخري و قلت " رضينا بالهم و الهم مارضيش بينا و بمناسبة حالة الاكتئاب الاخيرة الي كنت فيها مش عارفة اشوف ربع الكوباية المليان احب اشارك معاكوا حكيتي مع الحب و الجواز و الذى منه , هاسميها "انا اسفة , مش عايزة اتنيل" . الحكاية دي فيها فضايح , و اعترافات , جزء لا بأس به من تاريخي الاسود . القصص كتير , منها الي يضحك و منها الي يبكي بس في الاخر هيا حصليت خلاص , و تسببت في تكوين شخصيتي و الي حصل حصل , و جائز لو شاركت الناس, تقدروا انا ليه بقيت كده في ناس هاتزعل مني , عادي متوقعة, ما اك

When Love Died

Yes, love died, about a year ago. No body knows exactly when, but it was sometimes early September or late August. Can you imagine something as big as love dying and no one noticing? Well, people did notice, in a way or another, but rather they couldn't possibly imagine that love , could in fact, die! For some, it changed into other feelings; feelings that could have usually be confused with love - lust, possessiveness , compassion, familiarity, kindness, fear of loneliness or even instinctive protectiveness. But there are a few people who are still lost at see with the void that death of love left behind. They struggle to find meaning. They... Ah well,.. Here are some stories from these people: Scene 4 Greenwich Wednesday, September 4th, 2014 It wasn't very rainy that day, unlike the rest of the week, so Tom thought that today has to be the day. He stopped at Marks and Spenser's on the way to class to pick up some flowers and concealed them cleverly. The day w