Skip to main content

Embaressing and flattering

"It's really nice to meet you", he says to her as he picks his car keys and wallet from the table in front of him, then he stands up , smiles and says "Goodbye everyone".
People greet him back and he starts walking towards the door.
"Hold on a minute", she says as she picks up her handbag , "I have to leave ,too. Why don't you walk me to my car?!"
"My pleasure."
"Bye guys", she says as she walks out the door," see you Sunday!"
"Mohammed", she says, clearly looking a bit nervous, starts to speak , no words come out of her mouth and she sighs.. nervously.
"Yes?"he replies, confused by her confusion.
"I know this will sound strange, but.. But hear me out.. ok?"
"Sure" and he nods
"So , as it happens is it cynical world of ours, we have everyone and everything in common but we never met, so.."
"But", he tries to interrupt
"Please don't interrupt me. You'll break my trail of thought." and she smiles shyly, " Sorry!"
"Ok", he smiles
"so.. I was saying, we went to the same kindergarten, same schools, and even though we went to university in abroad, we still end up in the same university and we have at least a 100 common friends. All that, yet we never met."
He tries to speak again but she interrupts
"I know , I said that before." and she smiles again, "And here we are, meeting in a work related conference. Ironic, right?"
but before he gets a chance to speak , she continues
"My point being, I heard so much about you, from our friends and I know it will sound a bit creepy, but I also read your blog constantly. Anyway, what I'm saying is.. I am not sure if this is all just a series of coincidences or if our path is pre-determined for us; but I am sure that life is full of chances and one has to make their own opportunity. Too much blah blah, right?"
He smiles but doesn't speak. His face appears confused but amused.
She breathes deeply and says, "What I'm trying to say is; although it is is not very orthodox , I really like you and I'd love to know you better. So I was wondering, would you like to go our for coffee sometime?"
And after she finishes, she sighs with relief.
His smile turns to laughter, which confuses her even more and then he asks "can I speak now?"
She nods.
"First things first. You said we've never met; but we have, several times as a matter of fact"
"We did? When? Where?"
"Well, we first met in primary school and used to be playmates, but I used my father's name because I couldn't spell my last name. AND, I looked different then."
She looks puzzled.
"Do you remember Mohammed Ibrahim, the chubby guy that you used to call Billy?"
"Silly Billy can't touch his toes?!"
"Yep... that's me"
She blushes, "God, that's embarrassing. I always wondered what happened to you. You disappeared after 5th grade."
"Well, my family went to Abu Dhabi for 4 years. When I came back, you were busy becoming the prom queen and getting worshiped by the entire school while I was the nerd doing his IGCSEs. Although I had a major crush on you, I knew I didn't stand a chance. And when I finally got the courage to ask you to dance on the prom but the water polo guy, don't remember his name, beat me to it."
"Haitham! I was dating him them." And she laughed, "Can you imagine he actually called his son Haitham , too?"
He smiles, "Then we went to McGill. I didn't come across you the first two year, although I tired hard to. Then in my junior year, I was homesick , so I joined the Egyptian Students Society, and unsurprised, I find you the president. I was in a stable 2 years relationship then, so I avoided you at all cost. One can't mess around his high school crush when he's in a relation, don't you think?"
"True of course"
"And then you came back to Egypt while I stayed to continue my post grads. And whenever I'd come to Egypt on vacation and ask about you, either you'd be in a relationship so it'd be pointless to meet, or I'd be in a relationship, so I decide to save it for when I was single." He smiles " that the story in a nutshell. Then you said you weren't sure if this is coincidence or a pre-destined path. I think it's God's higher plan and that you are absolutely right about making use of chances." then he stops speaking.
She becomes nervous, he still didn't reply the most important question. Did she flatter him too much that he lost interest?! Men!!
But he continued, "You asked me out for coffee, and as flattering as it is; to be asked around by the prom queen who has had your heart for as long as you remember. I'll have to say no, coffee won't do."
Although disappointed, especially after he flattered he so much, she still smiled; she just had to take the chance.
"Coffee won't do when I want to take you out to somewhere luxurious. So, I'm picking you up for dinner tomorrow night at 9, so wear something fancy and be as gorgeous as you always have been."

Comments

Anonymous said…
have i every told you that I like sooo much your way of writing. and it always makes me curious if you are talking about urself or someone else
Zeww said…
@Anonymous..
no you actually haven't told me , but then again , you haven't told me who you are either. But really thanks, I'm flattered.
But what makes you think I'm talking about myself?
Anonymous said…
ok, it didnt copy my name, Mokhtar ya fandem.
what makes me think u r talking about urself, dunno, so hard to get all these feeling except about urself
Zeww said…
@Mokhtar basha..
menawar walahi!
Well actually, I think en a successful writer can write feelings that he/she did not specifically experience. Not that I call myself a writer wala 7aga.. but maybe with practice, one day I'll be!
Anonymous said…
take the word from me, u r from now, just practice, and find a way to publish short stories
Anonymous said…
Zeww...by the way...forgot to tell you that I LOVED this one :)
Anonymous said…
Amazing short story. You just keep me wondering if its real or just a product of a fertile imagination.
But it made me think.

Life is a series of chances and coincidences. And you'll never know what will happen next. The right person is the right person at the right time.. for both of you. You could meet a lot of Mr/Ms. Right -- but not at the right time.. and that would be the end of it.

Why are we fighting to make our destiny when its already predetermined?
Zeww said…
@Cookie..
Thanks ya gameela. It's one of the sweet stories that put a smile on my face. Hope it did the same to you.

@Rifa3i..
Menawar ya man el blog walahi!

Popular posts from this blog

الفرق بين الطبخ على نار هادئة والطبخ السريع

 لاحظت إن بقى لى فترة كل تدويناتي إما تتحدث عن الحب (أو عدمه) والمشاعر (أو عدمها) أو تدوينات حزينة نكدية بتبني جو من  الكآبة العامة اللي محدش لا طايقها ولا ناقصها اصلا. فقررت بيني وبين نفسي أني مش هكتب حتى يكون عندي شئ خفيف وظريف أكتب عنه. المشكلة للأسف اللي وجهتني هي أن كل اللي بيدور في بالي دلوقتي إما الشغل ومشاكله اللي مبتخلصش أو حوار المشاعر اللي قلت إني مش هتكلم فيه، فقررت أسكت. بس النهارده وأنا في العربية مراوحة البيت من الشغل جائت لي فكرة قلت رغم إنها بتكسر شوية القرار اللي فوق إلا إنها تمشي مع فكرة خفيفة فممكن نعملها إستثناء فكرت في قد إيه "الإعجاب أو الإنبهار" بشخص ده عامل زي طرق الطبيخ، فيها السريع واللي على نار هادئة والللي الواحد يقعد يجهز فيه ويستنى عليه في الفرن إنه يستوي، مبيستويش. طبعا أنا محبب عليا أقول "الحب عامل زي الطبيخ"، بس من ناحية، أنا لسة من كام يوم بقول إن الإعجاب محتاج كثير علشان يبقى حب أصلا، ومن ناحية تانية حسيت إن الجملة مستهلكة جدا من قبل النكت القالشة.    أنا كنت طول عمري بميل للطبيخ السريع، زي طريقة "ستير فراي"، في

انا اسفة , مش عايزة اتنيل -0

بمناسبة شهر رمضان الكريم اللي الناس فيه بتبقى زهقانة و عايزة حكايات و بمناسبة اني كل ما اقعد قدام التلفزيون الاقي مسلسل مختلف فيه سوسن بدر بتقول لإبنها او بنتها "عقبال ما افرح بيكي و بمناسبة اذاعة مسلسل عايزة اتجوز اللي كل الناس بتبصلي اني المفروض اخده مثل اعلى و اروح ادور على عريس و بما ان عادة المصريين ان لازم ينكدوا على الواحد في اي مناسبة سعيدة و يفكروا باللي نقصوا في حياتوا و بمناسبة كلمة "عقبال" اللي عمري ما حبيتها ولا طيقتها و بمناسبة العريس الاخير , توتو عضلات اللي خلاني جبت اخري و قلت " رضينا بالهم و الهم مارضيش بينا و بمناسبة حالة الاكتئاب الاخيرة الي كنت فيها مش عارفة اشوف ربع الكوباية المليان احب اشارك معاكوا حكيتي مع الحب و الجواز و الذى منه , هاسميها "انا اسفة , مش عايزة اتنيل" . الحكاية دي فيها فضايح , و اعترافات , جزء لا بأس به من تاريخي الاسود . القصص كتير , منها الي يضحك و منها الي يبكي بس في الاخر هيا حصليت خلاص , و تسببت في تكوين شخصيتي و الي حصل حصل , و جائز لو شاركت الناس, تقدروا انا ليه بقيت كده في ناس هاتزعل مني , عادي متوقعة, ما اك

When Love Died

Yes, love died, about a year ago. No body knows exactly when, but it was sometimes early September or late August. Can you imagine something as big as love dying and no one noticing? Well, people did notice, in a way or another, but rather they couldn't possibly imagine that love , could in fact, die! For some, it changed into other feelings; feelings that could have usually be confused with love - lust, possessiveness , compassion, familiarity, kindness, fear of loneliness or even instinctive protectiveness. But there are a few people who are still lost at see with the void that death of love left behind. They struggle to find meaning. They... Ah well,.. Here are some stories from these people: Scene 4 Greenwich Wednesday, September 4th, 2014 It wasn't very rainy that day, unlike the rest of the week, so Tom thought that today has to be the day. He stopped at Marks and Spenser's on the way to class to pick up some flowers and concealed them cleverly. The day w